Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Yet Another Use for Layer Masks...


We know that depth-of-field decreases as magnification increases, that is, as you move closer to your subject. In this image, I could either have the edge of the flower in focus or the insides of the flower, but not both at the f-stop I had chosen. And I had chosen a shallow depth-of-field because I wanted the background to be just a soft green, with no distracting detail.

Once again, Photoshop to the rescue. I photographed the flower twice, once with the inside sharp and once with the edge sharp. No other settings were changed except for the point of focus. In Photoshop, I brought both images together with a Layer Mask. (I always make the top image the one from which I will be using the most information, in this case the outer flower). I then used the Brush tool to bring out the sharp detail in the center. Note that there will always be a slight change in size, since when you change focus, there will be a change in magnification.

Once again, is this cheating? Or are we simply bringing to the screen the image as our eyes saw it in the field? Your call, but perhaps another reason to learn to use Photoshop's Layer Mask. But remember, this is a technique that needs to be planned for while you are photographing. I have put together as many as four exposures of the same subject to create the image I wished to see.

2 comments:

  1. There is no such thing as cheating when it comes to creating digital images. But if you feel your work is getting stagnant, maybe you should try something new, something that is not part of what you are doing. Pick up a paintbrush or video camera, take an art history or botany class. It doesn't have to be to the exclusion of continuing your current work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no such thing as cheating when it comes to Art.

    Accidents are discoveries.

    Just keep creating.

    'When I was a child I could draw like Raphael, but it took me a lifetime to draw like a child"
    Picasso

    ReplyDelete