Saturday, October 11, 2008

WILLIAM J. HIGGINSON

I began pairing photographs with haiku perhaps 7 or 8 years ago, but became increasingly frustrated with the variance in translations of the same poems, my inability to arrange the combinations into a coherent order, and near-total ignorance of the cultural aspects and meanings of the verses.

I owned many of Bill Higginson’s books, most well thumbed and note-laden, and when his name appeared during one of my Internet searches, a bulb just went off. I emailed him in 2002, he graciously responded, and over the next 4 years, after journeys down many side canyons, we assembled the project that became Butterfly Dreams. It remains the single accomplishment in my life that I am most proud of, and it would simply not exist were it not for Bill.

Pity Bill!
I’m sure he will receive credits in his next life for his patience with me during this crafting.

Bill: “This combination simply doesn’t fit together—the haiku you quoted is incorrectly translated and when fixed, makes no sense with this image.”

Michael: “But the subject matter is such a good match…can’t we use the incorrect translation?”

Bill: “Groan” (reaching for Maalox).
And so on and so on.

Bill always won those discussions, and rightfully so. He was patient with my ignorance, but unyielding in his pursuit of accuracy and purity in his chosen genre. (And no, we did not use any “incorrect” translations…)

Bill passed away this afternoon. His wife, partner, and fellow-poet Penny Harter was at his side, singing to him as he left. May we all be so blessed.

1 comment:

  1. The fantasy image is fabulous! I love the "background" that you set
    >>> the
    >>> butterfly onto. It is very dreamy and lushious however, I am
    >>> disturbed by
    >>> the 2 vertical "leaves" in the upper right corner. Design-wise, the
    >>> curves
    >>> of the butterfly are answered in the surrounding leaves so
    >>> beautifully the
    >>> the verticals are a distraction. Anyhow, you wanted feedback and
    >>> that it
    >>> from just an artistic point of view. If you were doing a painting -
    >>> I would
    >>> say to go back in and soften them and possible make them a little
    >>> curved by
    >>> erasing or painting out some of their left sides. Just an opinion.
    >>> I do
    >>> love what you did with it. Keep playing - infinitely more fun than
    >>> being
    >>> frustrated! sharon
    >>>

    ReplyDelete