Sunday, May 2, 2010

Nexto ND2700


Nexto ND2700

independent battery-powered Peripheral drive

Because those who know me are aware of my borderline paranoia (some would argue with the “borderline” part…), they know I insist on redundancy when it comes to back-up (I say it’s not paranoia when they’re really after you…) For this reason, I need to have reliable back-up that is NOT laptop-dependent. In case the laptop is stolen. Lost. Trampled by elephants. Eaten by piranhas. Pooped on by pelicans. Etc.

The Nexto eXtreme fits the bill pretty well. It’s small, fast, and holds 320 GB. It can download a 4 GB card in less than 5 minutes (with a 5400 rpm drive) and a 7200 rpm edition is due out soon, according to the company. And did I mention it costs about $260? It has a small LCD so you can tell where your folders are going, but cannot be used for editing. The Epson P-5000 can, but costs $700. That makes it a pretty simple choice for me. I’m looking for storage here, not a mini-computer screen. My Nexto has survived weeks along the Amazon in 200% humidity. It has been dropped (not an activity I recommend) and continues to hum. The battery is rechargeable and you may also purchase an external battery that extends the usability of the unit in the field.

An excellent value!

Check it out at http://www.nextodiusa.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment