Saturday, September 6, 2008

Color Problems: Part 1


Yes, I know it's not a bug, but I will use it anyway to illustrate a point that I stumbled over recently while photographing birds with Matthew Studebaker, who is a superb workshop leader and an encyclopedia of avian knowledge.

The luminance (black-and-white) histogram for this bird read just fine in the field, with no obvious burnt-out highlights. Imagine my surprise when I opened the image in Camera Raw and found that there was a color highlight burnt out to the point where it was not even retrievable! The yellow on this bird's chest and throat contains NO detail. I could not even use my trick of bringing over two images and blending them--even grossly underexposed, sorry, NO detail in the yellow. Ray Klass, Photoshop Guru extraordinaire, showed me an another technique, an old printer's trick called "plate blending", which has to do with bringing detail from one channel back into the original image. The problem is that there has to be detail in one channel to begin with. In this image there was none. A potentially interesting shot, but unusable.

This image awakened me to the purpose of the RGB histogram which Nikon has so kindly included in most of their newer cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment