Monday, April 12, 2010

Answer to Bill's Question...

When I find a subject that I really like, I take A LOT of exposures. Specifically, I bracket composition and depth-of-field. If I am using flash, I will also bracket the intensity and direction of the lighting. Often, I won't choose my "favorite"until I see all the images on the monitor. With flash especially, I will move the flash head around to mimic natural light and avoid reflections as much as possible.
The LCD is your best friend when learning to use flash--be patient and take MANY shots. For the froggie image, I made at least 50 or 60 exposures.

This was a night image, so it required full flash--I increased the power adjustment on the R1C1 lamps to full strength and then dialed one back to half strength, to supply some modeling. I used f22 as my f-stop because I needed a lot of D-O-F to keep the mosquito and the frogs sharp.

No comments:

Post a Comment