Monday, April 19, 2010

Polkadot treefrog, revisited

Here's another image of the same type of treefrog, but a different color morph. The Polkadot tree frog is actually a fairly common species in this part of the Peruvian Amazon.

Thanks for the kind words. I think the lighting is indeed rather flat. One of the drawbacks of ring flash is that the light is parallel to the lens axis and falls flat on the subject. When you consider that it is DIRECTIONAL light that causes shadow, and therefore, texture, it is not surprising that edges "lack character". In addition, the flower of the water hyacynth is far enough away from the leaf so there is no shadow.

1 comment:

  1. That's definitely interesting to learn about the drawback to a ring flash. I've had a macro flash unit on my wishlist for quite some time, but because my main macro lens is my Tamron 180mm and has a diameter of 72mm, I haven't seen a ring flash that would work without extra adapters.

    Then I found this: http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/FAXQMM1TC.html

    While it isn't quite the same as a ring flash, I think it would be somewhat more versatile. What do you think? Would this be a worthwhile investment instead of a ring flash given my situation?

    - Bill

    ReplyDelete