Sunday, April 18, 2010

Polkadot treefrog on water hyacynth in Peruvian Amazon


This little fellow was carefully placed on the water hyacinth several yards from the place where he was found. This environment is a natural one for him (or her), so the question is: Is this a captive specimen?
I think you could make valid arguments in either direction.
I was pleased with the aesthetics of the image, and was not overly concerned. The frog was free to travel and eventually hunkered around to the bottom of the leaf for the remainder of the day without any additional encouragement.
Technically, I was also pleased--fill flash was used to bring out some of the fine detail, but its effects are unobtrusive, as they should be.

Any comments?

1 comment:

  1. I also like the balance of this photo with the combination of the green leaf and frog complimented by the white and purple of the flowers. Additionally, I think the frog (acting as the main point of focus) with his gaze does a great job of directing the viewer's eyes to the secondary point of focus in the flowers. Thus drawing in and keeping the viewers attention.

    The one thing I didn't like with the photo is how for some reason (which I can't explain) the image takes on a very flat appearance right where the top of the leaf and the flower meet. I think my mind expects a bit more depth there, but it seems to be very flat. Any ideas on that?

    Still a great photo. This is the first time I've seen that species of frog. I used to own a pet store and collected a number of treefrogs, so these photos are of extra interest to me!

    - Bill

    ReplyDelete